|Project by Luke||posted 03-06-2013 07:15 PM||1773 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
My wife and I are both into our respective crafts; for her: scrapbooking and sewing. For me: fly tying, and photography. We have a loft that was set up as an ‘alternative living room’ with an old entertainment center, and couches. Well after about 5 years in our home, we realized that we had NEVER used this room, it was a wasted space. After all how many couches and TV’s do you REALLY need? So I drafted up some plans for some more storage as well as a place for our kids to do homework when the day comes for that.
I built the cabinet carcass’s out of Melamine. This being a craft desk, with things going in and out, I wanted something that would be durable. The face frames are made of poplar, and the beading was applied after the frames were put together. I used biscuit and pocket hole joinery for this project.
The desk spans nearly 15’. At first we designed it to be just one long work surface, but for more storage, we decided to build the bookshelf on the top. It was made entirely of leftovers.
My little boy really likes to watch me in the wood shop and even help when he can.
I love him being in there with me, but it really puts a burden on me to improve my dust collection, I don’t want him breathing dust. We’re not honestly in the shop very often though.
I used biscuits to assemble the cabinet carcasses along with pocket hole’s on the back for support. I wasn’t sure how they would hold up, but I thought I’d give it a try. They are plenty strong! As a matter of fact, we had our countertops in the kitchen replaced and I inspected our cabinets construction while there was no counter, and this desk is 10 times more heavy duty than what was put in my home.
The 15’ long desk top was a revolving decision… at first we wanted it to be dark, so we tried various colors on scrap but
after wards decided that natural was probably the best option. I put 6 coats of a home brewed wipe on poly. I had originally intended on building a finish of of the wipe on, but this was taking way too long. I ended up spraying shellac over the oil, and then 4 coats of General Finishes WB Poly on top. I also used my Earlex 5500 to spray the white paint.
I built the center cabinets to fit my wife’s Sewing machines, and Craft Cutters/Printer and put them on full extension drawer slides so she could easily access them as seen in the pics.