|Project by patbrennan||posted 03-05-2013 04:18 PM||2346 views||6 times favorited||10 comments|
I bought 4 Walnut logs at an estate sale for $5.00. It was exciting to re-saw these on the band saw to see what was hidden inside. When I got done milling them I needed a project. At the same time we needed a gift for a friend. An end-grain Cutting board seemed like a solution.
I used the “Cutting Board Designer” software to come up with a plan for a cutting board. What was nice about this software was that I could make changes to the design in an effort to use up some Maple I had. The board would be 24” x 16”.
The milling of the stock went well, the glue up went well. Then came the clean up of glue and flattening the surface. That was an effort. I had viewed some LJ posts regarding the consideration that should be taken when aligning the slices – this paid off. However, when I flattened the first glue up (with hand plane) I had created a taper on the ends of the slices which I did not realize until I started to put the clamps on. I had 4 pieces crack at the edge. These I patched by opening them up with a thin kerf saw and gluing in a piece of walnut. After the patching was done i sanded all surfaces with 80, 120, 180, 220, 400, 600, 800. This went fast despite the 7 grits of paper. I applied Mineral Oil and let soak. I am pleased with this and feel comfortable giving it away.
-- "If the women don't find you handsome you should at least be handy" - Red Green