|Project by hjt||posted 03-05-2013 02:04 PM||1459 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
In an effort of clear up some clutter, I decided to do something with all (some) of the scrap lumber that is currently in cardboard boxes, plastic pails and supported from the ceiling.
I started by using Sketch-Up to design what I had in my little pea brain. Being relatively new to SU, it took me some time to design what I call my Scrap Wood Caddy. The good thing with using SU is that it does cause one to think through the project. I can see when I get better at both SU and woodworking; I’m going to enjoy this.
My neighbor was about to toss out some 3/8 plywood he had used for boarding up his windows during hurricane season. So while this “repurposed” lumber and project is not as exciting as some of the stories I read on LJ, I did not have to buy the wood.
Using my circular saw and my circ guide (someday I need to post that project) I cut out all of the pieces according to the dimension from my Sketch-Up drawing. The guide made it super easy to get a straight and correct cut first time/every time.
During this project, I created another guide, this one for my jig saw. I’ve never seen any information on line or in magazines regarding the use of a guild for a jig saw, but I know I have a hard time cutting a straight line with it so… I built it out of Luane (may have spelling wrong) and find that, while it worked, I do need to do a little more R&D before bring it to market!!
The Cut… nice and straight
As you can see, I ended up making some changes to the finish product from what I designed on SU. I decided to extend the dividers to give more suport to the scrap lumber and allow me to put longer pieces in. .
Two boxes are empty and I still have room for more. It’s on wheels so it rolls around very easily.
As I built it, my wife and I both believe I did not design it big enough. However, it holds more then I would have guessed, and by not being so big, it’s easy to roll around. I will make a second one in the future, perhaps a little larger
All said and done, I’m happy with the project and I learned a lot. Here are somethings this project has taught me:
1. Sketch-Up is a great tool to use at the start of a project. It helped me to think out MOST things.
2. I’m getting better!!! I’m not there yet, but I now much faster at reading the measuring tape, making an accurate cut and more. Maybe in the future I’ll be able to cut down my time. (Too embarrassed to tell you how long it took.)
3. Warped wood caused more problems that I ever thought
A “Come to Jesus Moment”
4. Next time I’ll use metal “L Brackets” instead of the wood support brackets. I think it would decrease my time, plus because the supports are inside each section, the wood falls over rather than standing straight in the corners.
5. While using Sketch-Up, I need to pay more attention to details. I designed the back side 3/8 longer than the actual box. I did so to cover the seam of the bottom. Hind sight, I should have designed the front and sides 3/8 longer too and cover the entire bottom. Or I guess I could have shortened the back side and shown the bottom piece all around.
6. I find that I spend a lot of time in the details in the beginning of the project. I start off making sure screws and corners are straight and symmetric… But as the project drags on, I’m less interested in that and just try to get it done.
7. I learned I do not need to keep every little scrap of wood
8. I believe that I have more money wrapped in the wheels and screws used then the actual replacement value of the lumber!
This project has been brought to you by my line up of Ridgid Power Tools, Grizzly Table Saw, my work gloves (so my hands stay nice and soft,) tape measure & square , my Work Shop Coffee Cup (a 1950’s Diner cup) and my 1967 Radial Arm Saw
And special thanks to fellow LJ, Jeremy, who, in the past, helped me with Sketch-Up