|Project by stanley2||posted 06-10-2008 04:20 PM||2299 views||4 times favorited||7 comments|
Previously I have posted a photo of this lamp finished. I’m making another so thought you might like to see it before assembly. This project is not for the feint of heart as some of the pieces are delicate and the shade involves compound angle cuts. There are more than 60 pieces to this lamp. When these lamps were made by Stickley the shade support arms were glued and screwed to the column with slotted round head screws – definately an ugly design flaw imho. You can see that I use a quadralinear column, which leaves room for the lamp cord and provides vertical grain on all sides. The support arms are through the column so they are structurally sound. In the first photo, the three small pieces go above the shade supports. I see I need to drill a hole in each of the flat pieces for the cord to pass thru. You can see where I used the Delta precision miter guage that I reviewed yesterday to make a final adjustment cut on the lamp shade as my blade angle was slightly off 30.3 degrees and I didn’t see the error until each side was assembled. Now I have the digital reader for setting the blade angle and that solved the set-up problem. Since heat rises I put a little vent cap on the top of the shade.
-- Phil in British Columbia