|Project by Gianni||posted 03-02-2013 01:14 PM||2455 views||10 times favorited||14 comments|
Saw an interesting looking piece of pine and thought I’d try to make something of it. I really like Andy’s boxes, and this is what came of it. I wanted to keep the coloring of the board, and in the past oil-based poly has turned the blueish streaking in the beetlekill pine a dark grey and ambered the light wood (as advertised, of course). After some searching I decided to try water-based poly, and I think it kept the color pretty true.
I really like the water-based, just for cleanup purposes. I can never get as good a result from brushing as I do from spraying. Literally, the difference in quality of the finish is entirely worth suiting up and putting on the respirator, and being able to clean the spray gun in the sink with soap and water makes my life a whole lot easier.
I do need to work on those hinge mortising and alignment skills. I just cut these into the base with a file, figuring that slow and steady would prevent me from destroying what was up to that point a pretty good project.