|Project by RLindberry||posted 03-01-2013 04:06 AM||4124 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
My latest project was a gate for my driveway. It’s been on the list, and I was hoping to wait until better weather in the late Spring, but it had gotten so bad, something needed to be done right away. The old gate was probably 20 years old (my grandpa built it back when he first bought the property) and it started falling apart.
As a carpenter, I’m ashamed that it got so bad. The rope was a temporary measure while I built the new gate, since the old cable had rusted through and snapped off, causing the weight of the gate to collapse.
So, here is my new gate with a new design. I tried to make it not only sturdier than the old design, but also lighter weight. Some of the things I did was to beef up the supporting timbers while giving it solid joinery, rather than simple half laps with a few nails and little hardware. I also steepened the angle of the brace, giving it more vertical strength. The weight was reduced by eliminating one of the braces and ripping the inside stile and bottom rail to just under 3” rather than 3.5”
Most importantly, my wife loves it.
Everything is mortise and tenon and bridle joints. All joints are pegged with 3/4” dowels. You can probably tell from the photos, but it is just lumberyard tight knot cedar 2×6 and 2×4. Nearly everything was done by hand.
Thanks for looking!