|Project by jumbojack||posted 293 days ago||1461 views||9 times favorited||9 comments|
Woodcraft had some Ribbon Sapele on sale some time ago; it begged to be a jewelry box. I obliged and used the basic design of my Secret Stash Jewelry Boxes, documented here on LJs
The cove, cut with a 45 degree fence on my Shopsmith really helped bring out grain on this beautiful wood. I mitered the corners and pinned them with ¼” walnut dowels. I used the same fence to angle the box to bore the holes with the horizontal boring function; one of my favorite functions on the Shopsmith. The 45 degree angle caused the dowels to get elliptical, the cove made them angle in a bit, like cats eyes. This was quite a surprise as I did not envision this, but I think it looks GREAT. The frame and panel lid and base were cut with a miter jig I made a couple of years ago. The panel is 3/16” ply with Redwood burl veneer on both sides. Since they are sequential sheets it took on the look of a solid panel. I pinned the frame with 1/8” walnut dowels again using the horizontal boring function. I used the cuts offs from the frame to fashion the feet keeping the endgrain for the boxes sides and the long grain for the front and back.
The tray is from some Redwood milled by a neighbor. He gave me several 5”x5”x38” pieces just to be a nice guy. I resawed them and rabbeted in a ply bottom. The dividers were all milled from some Beech left over from another build. My dado stack with no shims cuts a 21/64ths dado, so I thicknessed the stock to 22/64ths and cut the laps for the dividers. They came out pretty well,
I cut the dado for the floor of the box ¾” of an inch in to provide the stash area.
The box and base are held together with rare earth magnets. You can see I counter sunk and used epoxy to hold them in. Getting the polarity going the same way on the box and base nearly drove me to drink.
The finish is Satin Lacquer. Two coats on all the bottoms. Three coats on the insides and 8 plus on the tray and outside. I knocked it all down with some 400 grit shot another two coats and then some 600 grit followed with Johnson Paste wax.
Thank you for putting up with this long winded description.
-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith