|Project by BusterB||posted 02-27-2013 05:06 PM||10856 views||3 times favorited||27 comments|
When I built the flip-top cart, I used wingnuts on the table locks. They worked ok but a tad bit tough to grip so decided to make some knobs to replace them with. Serge posted some shop made knobs he made that I really liked so I decided that was the way to go. My OCD often battles my ADD so I have found its best to locate materials and have it laid out when starting a project like this. Went to my hardware stash and of course Murphys Law kicked in…no T nuts the right size and not enough hex nuts the right size for the I-bolts I had used. Well a smart fellow would hop in car and run to local hardware…right? Well never been accused of that particular trait…lol The more I looked at the wingnuts, the more I became convinced I could use them instead. Heck, I can always make some of those Serge designed knobs later if they dont work. Ok, used some 2×2 PT stock, drilled holes to accomodate the bolts then used a 1/2” spade bit to countersink for body of wingnut. Used a smaller bit to countersink slots the wings. Cleaned up with a chisel then off to sander for a little shaping. Shaping wasnt neccesary but the OCD was driving by now. Tapped the wingnuts into the slots and a (oh my, say it aint so) couple of drops of locktite to hold them in place. The locktite wasnt really a have too neither since they were nice and snug in their new home. May not be as pretty as store bought ones and a danged sight short of those gems of Serges, but they work well so may just keep them. Noticed I was off center a tad on a couple of them, have had a long talk with Barney the shop dog who is charge of quality control. he has promised to do better next time.
Thanks for looking
-- Buster, Ocoee TN (Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors - Hemingway)