|Project by moonls||posted 02-24-2013 01:08 AM||3858 views||31 times favorited||27 comments|
It has been a long time since I’ve posted a project but I have been doing a lot of woodworking. And along with good friend and woodworking buddy Ellen 35, we put our handiwork in 5 craft fairs last year. This project represents some new work and new twists on a past project…
Thanks to the posting of the bow box project published in the American Woodworker magazine by LJ buddy Lenny, I was inspired to try the project myself last year. I was happy with the results back then and I wanted to now try my own modifications. I increased the size and depth of the box, made the top a raised panel, used a router bit to cut the groove for the hinge, and cut the box apart with my bandsaw instead of the table saw.
Just before starting this project, Ellen & I decided to try our hand at making our own inlay banding. We found out why they charge so much for the store-bought banding! It was a lot of work but we had fun and got a few different designs completed. The “barber pole” design caught my eye as a good one to use to make the ribbon and bow for this project. I ripped a few strips for the 3/16” ribbon and left a 2” wide by 3/4” thick chunk to cut out the bow pieces. The inlay was made from maple, walnut and mahogany and the body of the box is maple. After final sanding, the project was sealed with dewaxed shellac followed by 2 coats of water-based poly.
Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.
-- Lorna, Cape Cod