|Project by GaryK||posted 06-07-2008 02:30 AM||51489 views||81 times favorited||66 comments|
I’ve had one of these on my list of things to make for a long time now. It ended up being easier and harder than I thought it would be.
I thought the hard part would be to make the board field wedge pieces. But I made a little jig that made it very easy.
This one is set for 11 degrees. I just had to make a 5 1/2 degree cut on one end of each board first. Then I just flipped it over after each cut.
The rotate it 90 degrees for cutting the wedges to length.
The wedges are made from Brazilian Boxwood and Wenge. The middle of the field is quilted maple with a bloodwood border on each side. The case is made from curly maple with a Indonesian Madrone Burl veneer covering it. The splines are also Wenge.
The protect the corners I used brass, and a pair of brass handles to carry it. You can’t see it in the pictures but there are two brass latches to keep it closed.
The dice are made from solid Gabon Ebony with the dots drilled and filled with white paint. The pieces are also boxwood and wenge. I had extra milled up so I used it.
The size is 19 1/2” x 23” and 2 1/2 thick.
To line the pockets I used crushed velvet.
I used the following techinque: http://lumberjocks.com/GaryK/blog/4858
The hard part was the engineering that went into it. Everything had to be in proportion. The diameter of the pieces had to be a little smaller then the width at the bottoms of the wedges. It also effected the length of the wedges which had to be about 5 times diameter of the pieces.
The diameter of the pieces also determines the thickness of the case. and the piece thickness determined the length of the pocket they are stored in.
Basically you start backwards and determine the size of your playing pieces before anything.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX