or Join Now!
Replaced the plastic grips with walnut. Custom fit for the hand that will be using it! Finished with Danish oil and then waxed.
-- Dee2, OH Aromatherapy....fresh cut wood!!
home | projects | blog
277 posts in 1842 days
Preview this project card
5811 posts in 1799 days
#1 posted 02-22-2013 04:22 AM
Very nicely done. I always prefer the feel of wood grips.
-- John C. -- "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
109 posts in 1793 days
#2 posted 02-22-2013 02:10 PM
I always wondered how people make them to fit perfectly. Do you just bandsaw them out to shape and rasp and rasp and rasp? These are real nice looking, my father would enjoy something similar for his pistol.
-- Ryan - Bethel Park, PA
3343 posts in 2591 days
#3 posted 02-22-2013 03:00 PM
Beautiful grips for an old revolver. With that barrel and a set of grips that fit the shooters hand, that 9 shotrevolver should be a real accurate plinking gun. As kids we bought 22 shells in bricks of 500 and put lotsof holes in tin cans and targets. Good introduction to hunting. Thank you for sharing.
-- As ever, Gus-the 78 yr young apprentice carpenter
2581 posts in 2467 days
#4 posted 02-22-2013 03:27 PM
Thanks for sharing this project. That is a real classic. Keep it stored securely.
1984 posts in 2971 days
#5 posted 02-23-2013 09:56 PM
Excellent project! Dad has this modle too. I was introduced to pistol shooting with that pistol. Thanks for jogging the memories.
-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)
20110 posts in 2310 days
#6 posted 02-23-2013 11:25 PM
Oh yes, Dee. You’ve just “made my day”
-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. Kentuk55@yahoo.com
#7 posted 02-25-2013 02:03 AM
Thanks for response. For those wondering…I did this first set by tracing original grips, separate for each side. Then drilled the screw holes on each side. Glued each side together (as if they were on the pistol) with double sided tape using the square bottom and the screw hole for alignment. I then cut it on the scroll saw. Separated the parts to draw a guide line on the side for sanding. I found re taping them together was easier to sand on the 6” belt sander using the top. Then I sanded the smaller areas on the spindle sander using the 5/8” drum. From there I went to the Dremel to do the rest of the detail and tiny areas. A rasp may work well too, but I’ve never worked much with rasps. Final sanding was by hand down to 320 and then Danish oil applied with 600.
Go to Pulse page »
©2017 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
Terms of Service
DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.
Latest Projects |
Latest Blog Entries |
Latest Forum Topics