LumberJocks

Merrilegs Rocking Horse

  • Advertise with us
Project by Scott Shea posted 02-20-2013 10:05 AM 1874 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I built this rocking horse for my kids based off plans for the Merrilegs Rocking Horse from Woodcraft. I found out that I was having another kid, and I didn’t want to build another pedal plane just due to the logistics of storage and moving them across the country has been a pain. A rocking horse it is!
To be honest, I forget the thicknesses of the wood used exactly, but it was made with about $100 dollars in lumber from Home Depot, but it’s all made from pine and stained in natural and left over red mahogany from a bed that I was building (see other projects). For the most part, I followed the plans with the build. I omitted the harness, which I may attempt later. Instead of using a mop as the plans stated, my with assisted me with using cotton thread in making the mane and tail. The pine was particularly knotty, and while I like the look of knots, they were in some bad spots. Rather than buying a new sheet of pine, I just worked around the knots and filled them as best as I could. I also used an additional peg in each leg to add strength, which was probably an overkill. I used a hand crosscut saw to make the angle to get the legs to splay. That was probably the most difficult cut to get correct and required a lot of additional sanding. I ended up needing to make a 5th leg because I made a mistake in one of those hand cut splays. All the pieces were rounded over using my Ryobi router table.
For the handles, I used oversize Shaker coat pegs (I believe they were 5” long) after I drilled the dowel handles crocked. I filled them and used these reenforced Shaker pegs instead. The eyes are Shaker pegs (smaller than the handles that I cut off and glued into place, which gave it a nice eyeball effect. They are stained Red Mahogany as well. Everything else was pretty straight forward off of the plans.
This was the first project that I didn’t need to buy any more hand tools to complete! The cost was relatively low because of it! It was not a particularly hard build either. I think the hardest part was sanding the mouth area. That cut was made with a hand crosscut saw. The finish was a sanding sealer base followed by Red Mahognay and Natural, with about 5 coats of Poly on top of it all. The last picture also shows a stick horse, I’ll cover that in another project as well.

-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!





5 comments so far

View alholstein's profile

alholstein

165 posts in 2765 days


#1 posted 02-20-2013 04:34 PM

Looks good, I am sure that it will greatly enjoyed by it’s riders.

-- Al Holstein "I wood do it"

View nitewalker41's profile

nitewalker41

385 posts in 1415 days


#2 posted 02-21-2013 04:12 AM

Really nice work, bet they well get well used for years to come

-- "older I get, the more fun I have"

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

2710 posts in 2435 days


#3 posted 02-21-2013 05:24 AM

Scott,

First off: welcome to LJs! Nice rocking horse! The idea for the eyes is great. Your wife did a nice job on the mane and tail, too. This should get passed down through many generations.

L/W

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

11343 posts in 898 days


#4 posted 02-21-2013 03:26 PM

Fantastic rocking horse! Like every detail of it and has a great build. Surely will be enjoyed and will last for many years.

View Scott Shea's profile

Scott Shea

149 posts in 645 days


#5 posted 03-04-2013 05:37 PM

Well, I thought I built it indestructible, but apparently my daughter figured out a way to break the horse. The break happened just above the front shoulder. Its not a clean break, but its certainly a break that I don’t believe that just using Titebond III will fix well.
Should I drill a dowel down from the neck into the body? It’s a 1” thick yellow pine area that broke off. I’m sort of not sure what I can do to fix it without doing something either invasive or using ugly external bracing.
If I build another or if I were to recommend for future builders, pine clearly wasn’t strong enough for the abuse that kids give these things. a 3-1/2 year old broke it.

-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase