|Project by jfk4032||posted 02-19-2013 10:19 PM||1609 views||6 times favorited||12 comments|
These are my first attempts at larger intarsia projects. I previously tackled the frog from KoryK’s LJ online class. These are two of Judy Gale Roberts’ designs and each pattern came with a full size and a smaller pattern. I though it would look cool to put these on a wall as if they were flying in V formation so I made all 4.
I was looking around for the right wood colors and grain for these and found them right around the corner from me. A local sawyer had a beautiful selection of some walnut crotch that had the full swing from sapwood to heartwood back to sapwood. I took advantage of this great color transition on the wings of some of these. I also used hard maple from the local sawyer for the geese breast. I finished these up with some regular black walnut, wenge, ebony and holly. I posted a sequence on SteveW’s recent intarsia post of the technique I’ve been developing for shaping and sanding my pieces …with some help from fellow LJers KoryK and intarsia92. Here it is:
For shaping/sanding I developed a routine with the following steps. I use a pneumatic drum sander (with two spindles one 9” and the other 3” diameters) for hogging off large amounts of wood and then the Guinevere with smaller pneumatic drums for more delicate shaping. I then use a Wecheer rotary tool (dremel like machine) with various sanding drums, flap wheels and carving bits for detail shaping/carving. For some details, I’ll use various files and rasps. Once edge glued together I’ll fill in all of the gaps with glue on the underneath flat surface to prevent glue from seeping up any minute spaces when later gluing to the backer. Then I flatten the underneath side with a SandFlee drum sander. I then sand by hand starting with 120 grit working my way up to finer grits switching to a sanding mop when I get to the 220 grit, and then continue by hand up to 600 grit. I use a wipe on gel satin finish with 3 coats and have been very happy with the finish.
I also incorporated some lathe work into the projects with the eyes. On the larger geese, I turned a piece of wenge to match the face/neck on the lathe to serve as an eye socket. I used a plug cutter to cut the ebony for the larger eye pupils and while on the lathe drilled the hole for the pupils. I also turned some small ebony eyes pegs for the two smaller geese to fit into a drilled hole.
I really like this intarsia art form and with each project I’m learning a lot and getting more efficient, accurate and comfortable with producing them. Next up is a likeness of our Chesapeake Retriever who passed away last month. I took the JGR labrador pattern and modified it extensively to better look like the Chessy breed and changed the mouth area to look like the smile that Pebbles would use to let us know she was happy.
Thanks for looking…
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!