|Project by luv2learn||posted 02-16-2013 07:08 PM||3203 views||19 times favorited||14 comments|
So, I made a frame for an upcoming project that had mitered corners. The frame was tight to the piece it went around and when I tried to force it a little one of the glue joints failed. Frustrated, I decided to take a break and walk down to the mail box to get the mail. Behold, a catalog from Eagle America and on the front cover was a picture of a Spline Jig. It was on sale for $89.99 plus shipping. It was slick, with all the bells and whistles.
Well, that jig would certainly solve my weak miter joint problem and dress up the frame to boot. The problem is I am a cheap skate. Back in my shop, I started looking for materials in the scrap bin that had the potential of being transforming into my very own Spline Jig. I had two left over box joint corners that I had made with my Pantorouter. These became the cradle for the jig.
I used strips of oak for the runners. The cradle supports, base, and stop were left over materials from building my lathe stand. The jig in the catalog had T track with knobs holding the stops in place. I didn’t have any T track so I slotted the sled front and back and made my own knobs.
Well, the frame is now complete with fancy splined corners and I have another jig and a little less scrap in my shop.
Thanks for looking!!
-- Lee - Northern idaho~"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they ought to find you handy"~ Red Green