|Project by jeffwedekind||posted 02-14-2013 02:30 AM||2365 views||9 times favorited||7 comments|
Here is a full size,yet expandable, captains bed I made for my youngest daughter.
This was a huge project, with way more parts than any previous project I have done. I started last spring just before Easter,and finished just before winter. (Slight problem, since it was for her birthday on July 1st. Yikes!) Not to mention, it was a scramble to get it all painted before the bitter cold set in.
The bed is for a full size mattress, but the drawer bases are built separately so it can expand in the future. (see the last pic) There are a total of 4 HUGE ,reinforced bottom, drawers, two of which are up against a wall, but I was planning for the future and built them in anyway. The headboard has tons of storage, and includes a reading light, and access to a power strip through the middle shelf that simply slides forward ( or removes completely).
Most of the bed is made from ply., with poplar face-frames, and edge banding where needed on the . headboard, and bases.
The drawers are 32” wide and 9” deep and made with locking rabbet joints.
I used pocket screw joinery for the face-frames.
The shelves are all made with biscuit joints.
The finish is rattle can “Rustoleum painters touch”. (I bet I went through 30 cans of paint and primer!)
The finish came out great, but was WAY more work than any other finish I’ve done. There could be absolutely NO blemishes, or they would show in the finish. I have never done so much painting, refilling, sanding, then repainting in my life. I’m not sure I would do it again.
Doing a matching built in bench seat/closet conversion that I’ll post in the near future.
Thanks for looking, and I know, I know, I need to take more “during photos”
-- Jeff, eastern Wa