|Project by Rob Vicelli||posted 02-11-2013 01:11 AM||2023 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
So this is my attempt at I think my hardest project yet- Kitchen chairs to match the table I made last year. After looking around for plans I found this one on FWW, They really fit our style and the wife approved. From the orignal plans I narrowed them am 1” and changed the back splat to maximum width that my Jet 12” bandsaw could cut, 6” and made the top rear rail a little thicker (Just a little extra wiggle room if something did not line up. This is also my first use of my spokeshave for smoothing out the curved pieces, worked OK (had some technique issues). After making a sample chair I decided I needed better mortising jig so I built a Horizontal Mortiser which worked GREAT. I will post that in a separate entry.
I did find that marking all the parts and Tenons to their specific location really helped when assembling. Along with following the FWW Video instruction for creating templates proved invaluable.
Making the cushions was much easier then I anticipated – will not hesitate in doing that again.
For the finish I choose to go with the same as I did on my maple table – Enduro-var by General Finishes. I thought it would be a good idea to brush it on to limit waste – WRONG. My brush technique was terrible and took way too long. After repairing that mess I went with what I know – Spray it on! Turned out really weel and took less then 1 qt for all the chairs.
All in all really happy with the final product, I am sure they will last a very long time.
-- Rob V