|Project by Willdoc||posted 315 days ago||901 views||6 times favorited||12 comments|
My second piece of furniture for my now 4-year-old son is complete. I think it was a fairly ambitious project as my second. Both of my boys loved to watch as it slowly took shape over an hour or two, several nights per week, for (many) weeks.
I designed this one from scratch, based on the elements of the Child Chair and Step Stool of Cherry.
- first breadboard ends
-first mortise and tenons
- first time using a spoke shave
- to make first curved aprons
- first time to cut my own walnut face grain plugs (thank you veritas plug cutters)
- first time to fashion my own design wood pull
-first secret compartment made (my son’s favorite feature—he’s reaching for the secret compartment in the picture, where I stashed some loot for him to find)
Things I would do differently the second time ‘round:
- 1 or 2” table top overhang, maximum
- make the effort and buy rift or quarter sawn cherry for the top and skip the breadboard ends (don’t like them as much as I thought I would)
-Make the top a touch thinner
- Make the legs a touch thicker
-design the drawer to use under-drawer slides, the side ones detract from my dovetailing work
- the curved aprons to side joinery is with dowels
- finish is waterlox (somewhere near 8 coats… lost count)
- The top is attached bolts on washers in elongated holes to allow movement
- the walnut dowel was exactly the wrong size from any standard forstner bit, so the accepting holes were cut with a circle cutter in the drill press (which took some filing to get down to just a scosh under 1.5”.)
- the secret compartment was built in under the drawer and can hold a fair amount of top secret stuff
- in all my brilliance, I glued the underbottom panel before I bolted on the top, only to find I could no longer access the bolt heads to tighten them in…... There was (#@)#ing….. So, I decided that, all along, I was going to add decorative 5/8” walnut hole plugs to the under desk surface. It’s just coincidence that they occur exactly over the top attachment bolt heads….
There’s very little in this world better than making something that your son loves.
-- I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them ** Thomas Jefferson