|Project by HokieMojo||posted 06-02-2008 12:44 AM||3651 views||1 time favorited||22 comments|
Here are some pictures of a candlebox I made for my wife. She loves candles and I like building stuff, so it worked well.
The box is made of 1/4” cherry and the floor is just a piece of plywall set in a dado. The corners have keys made out of padauk. You can’t really see from the pictures, but they are actually dovetails. The keys came out way better than the mitered corners themselves. They are a good tight fit, so even if the corner joint wouldn’t have held, the keys will keep them there.
The lid is also padauk. Is is only about 1/8” thick. I should have went thicker because I sawed the brass screws to 1/2 the length and they are still causing a few bumps on the lid. I got frustrated and as you can see, one screw is still missing. I’m going to just make a new thicker lid, but I have my hands full at the moment.
The finish is just Formby’s Tung Oil Finish (about 8 coats) with paste wax over the top. I think the tung oil finish brought out the colors very nicely.
I completed this project in April, and I’ve noticed the top has already gotten a much richer red. I guess it will eventually turn to a dark brown, but I wish it would change slower. I really like the red. Hopefully when it is done changing, the color will still look ok with the cherry. Hope you enjoy the pictures.