|Project by rustfever||posted 02-08-2013 09:12 PM||2073 views||0 times favorited||18 comments|
An Oak burl has been setting in my ‘Turning Stock Bin’ for over a year. I finally got around to doing some with it on the lathe. After a bit, I noticed some defects, bark inclusions, and worm holes. So, I stopped and cleaned it up, giving discovered defects a good filling with CA adhesive. I set aside for about 28 hours, and then returned it to the lathe at a slower speed. I carefully worked it for about 2 or 3 minutes, when BAM!
I felt something brush my jaw and heard something go past my ear. This it the results. A four piece bowl.
Thankfully, I was: standing out of the path of flying objects; had my full face shield on; wearing safety glasses; and wearing a heavy apron.
Net result: one broken bowl, and not one drop of blood shed.
-- Rustfever, Central California