|Project by toddbeaulieu||posted 02-08-2013 02:07 PM||2290 views||0 times favorited||23 comments|
We have a fantastic little Yorkie named Joey, A.K.A “Joey B”. He’s six years old and has had quite a history of health issues, all starting at 3 years old. He’s a seizure dog, has had facial paralysis (mostly recovered now), a brain infection, GME, Anaplasma, and is now a diabetic, requiring injections and monitoring. We’ve had multiple MRIs, spinal taps, and even surgery to remove carpet from his intestines that he had eaten because of the prednisone-induced hunger. There have been times when it looked bleak. During one such time I decided to make him a nice casket. I’m glad I did it then, because it took me 40+ hours! He’s doing much better at the moment, and I feel good, knowing I have this ready. It will be sad and stressful enough, without having to worry about a casket for burial.
I got some 6/4 walnut on CL as cutoffs for $40. I wish I could get more. I loved working with it.
Originally, I was going to use big hand cut dovetails. That didn’t work out so well! They were awful. So the size of the casket was reduced by 2” L and W after removing my not-so-handy work. Plan B involved a lock miter bit. That came out pretty well. Other than the molding (which I unnecessarily used nails) and of course the hardware, there are no nails or screws. I even hand made dowels for the handles.
The molding was fun to make, learning how to work safely. Instead of trying to route tiny pieces I routed and ripped. The top molding reminded me of Special Dark chocolate bars.
The top is bookmatched from a single piece. The bottom was reswan twice, producing three pieces, which I then shiplapped.
My phone camera really stinks. You’ve probably already noticed many flaws in the finish. By far, the biggest struggle was the finish. It came out just awful. I used a water based urethane and just couldn’t get it to cover. I don’t know what I did wrong, but it left gaps and streaks, even after multiple coats. I even bought a sprayer and tried that without luck. I had a terrible work environment in the basement with lousy lighting and no dust control. At this point, I’d love to sand it back and try to fix it, but I may just live with it.
Oddly enough, when I show this to people and tell them what it is, 9/10 people will laugh. I’m not sure why that is.