|Project by Gianni||posted 02-07-2013 02:32 AM||2310 views||10 times favorited||14 comments|
This is my first attempt at an “Andy” style box. It started life as a 99 cent board that I was using to test a new box joint jig, but when the joints closed up nearly perfect i decided to keep experimenting and busted out the angle grinder.
The front and side handles were something from and old post from kimosawboy, and after that turned out better than i expected, i was pretty much destined to add a top and bottom (another 99 cents… I thought this project would bankrupt me!)
The bottom i just cut to size and added a rabbet to fit inside the frame and square it. The top blew out two of the box joint ends when i routed the rabbet in the frame, but i just patched them up and kept going. I freehanded a pattern in the top, looking at it now it seems a bit “noisy” but not terrible for a first try. The next one they will all curve/bevel the same direction (oh, and i won’t go half way through the hinge pin either). I should have added a lid lift but having blown out the edge twice already I decided to wait for the next one to try that.
I lined the bottom with black felt i had on hand, and cut the dividers from what was left of the board i used to make the top. Finish is a couple coats of tung oil wiped on. I think it turned out really well, and was really surprised at the look of a 99 cent beetle killed pine board after carving and oiling.
Thanks to Andy and kimosawboy for the tips and inspiration.