|Project by PASs||posted 02-05-2013 02:57 AM||1009 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
A former boss asked me to fix/replace a baluster/bannister/spindle from his house.
I guess it was a year ago, maybe longer.
I finally got around to making him a couple.
The first one was a practice piece. It had a knot hole that was half the thickness of the spindle.
I turned it with the piece missing, but the practice piece turned out well enough I filled the gap with wood shavings from the turning and sawdust from by belt sander with superglue to fix it (lots of superglue). The 6th picture shows the filled in hole before painting.
I must admit, I’m becoming a fan of superglue.
The original baluster was broken in half where the second bead at the top joined the long taper.
I drilled holes in both pieces, then epoxied a dowel to hold it together. I didn’t watch my alignment while the epoxy set, so the piece is off by about 3 degrees. The original is the one on the far right in the 4th picture.
Pine, sanded to 220, one coat of 2# shellac rubbed off with an old t-shirt while still wet, then a few coats of Kilz white primer.
-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."