|Project by vrice||posted 02-01-2013 06:55 PM||1831 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This is a project I started back in November. This is the most ambitious project for me yet as a woodworker. Designed this from scratch with Sketchup. You can find the model here.
I really wanted a cherry border on the hard maple top. So, to account for wood movement I designed a modified breadboard joint for the ends, using floating tenons and a drawbore to hold the trim pieces to the top. The floating tenons are glued into mortises in the cherry trim and fit into somewhat elongated mortises in the top, with no glue. Then drawbores, with elongated holes, hold the trim tight. You can see this detail in the model.
Everything is hard maple except for the shelves (which are maple ply) and the drawer fronts which are cherry. I wanted a chance to use my recently completely box joint jig (a Wandel special). So the drawers are constructed to use a center rail as the width of the drawers, to accomodate the box joint, doesn’t allow side rails. The top is attached with hard maple buttons made from leftover stock. I chose to use a biscuit joiner to make the slots needed for the buttons.
I decided to make my own drawer handles. I used some leftover hard maple for this.
One of the pics shows the arrangement I chose for providing a stop so the drawer couldn’t be pulled out by accident. Its just a small hinge put into a mortise on the underside of the top shelf. Simply reaching in and holding the hinge up let’s you remove the drawer.
Lastly on the design, you can see in a pic or two that the edge banding on the top and bottom shelf is about 0.25” proud of the shelf. This is to prevent stuff from sliding off. Since I worried this might allow normally glued on banding to be knocked off, I chose to get a pair of router bits that allowed me to create tongue and groove joint for attaching the edge banding.
As you can see in a few of these pics the hard maple has quite a bit of curly grain. This was pure luck on my part. The 8/4 stock I purchased for the top and edge banding was not sold as curly. When I started cutting into it the curly grain showed up. Looks great.
I also decided towards the end of this build I was not going to actually be cutting with knives on the top, but did want to accomodate food coming into contact. So the top was finished, 7 coats, with Behlens Salad Bowl Finish. Everything else has 6 coats of Waterlox Original.
-- Vic Rice