|Project by kdc68||posted 01-31-2013 04:03 AM||4263 views||10 times favorited||29 comments|
I just purchased this G0661 Table Saw. Once I had it all assembled I thought it needed an extension on the far right. I choose to use High Pressure Laminate instead of Melamine. It was more expensive to use, but it will more durable in the long run. The picture below shows the saw without the extension
In the picture below it shows I used poplar for the frame around the extension. I drilled four 1/4” holes through the cast iron extension and 5/16” holes through the poplar. I used four 1/4” x 1-1/2” hex bolts, flat washers, and lock washers to fasten the poplar against the cast iron extension. The pieces are clamped to the rails for layout. I drilled 1/4” holes through the rails and 5/16” holes through the poplar. I had to remove the square stock tube to countersink the hole for a 1/4” x 1-1/2” flat head machine screw. The rear rail I used a 1/4” x 1-1/2” hex bolt. One hole at the far end on each of the two rails. Again I used flat washers and lock washers.
In the picture below shows the underside of the extension. The substraight is 3/4” MDF. I removed the poplar I used against the cast iron extension and fastened to the cleats as an assembly. Note the cleats are in sections to make room for the hex bolts on that piece. I used cleats around the remaining three sides to fasten the other three poplar pieces to (later on). I used a stiffener in the middle. The stiffener is there because I wanted something in the middle of the span to fasten the two poplar side pieces (brad nailed through the face of the poplar side pieces into the end of the stiffener) and add rigidity to the top
In the picture below it shows the topside of the extension. I cut a piece of HPL about 1” bigger than the width and length of the extension. I used contact cement to adhere this. Two coats on the MDF and one coat on the HPL. When dried (tacky) I carefully applied the HPL to the MDF. I used a laminate roller to remove air bubbles and securely flatten the HPL. Then used a flush trim bit in a router to flush the edges. Once that was all done, I secured the three perimeter pieces to the cleats and flush to the HPL. I mitered the ends on the two outer corners. Note the poplar has a beveled edge on these three pieces. I ripped the bevel prior to assembly. The cast iron top has a beveled edge of about 10.5 degrees. I matched the bevel on the polar to give them a smooth transition from cast iron to wood. Once those pieces were assembled I applied 3 coats of poly to the poplar. Once dry I assembled the extension simailar to the cast iron extensions.
-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once