|Project by derosa||posted 01-30-2013 05:17 AM||1140 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
Although the wife liked the first ring she wanted to see more of the walnut, so I whipped this up. These things aren’t the easiest to make but the system I’ve made for them makes it easy to make multiple blanks at once which is a good thing since there are small ring fragments here and there as I experimented with what system works best. Once I figured it out there were no more broken rings. For size, this is a size 5 meaning it won’t even fit over my pinky knuckle and the walls are between 1/16 and 1/32 so about 3/64, it also means that the pictures are way bigger then the actual object. Without the offset segments these things would fall apart but if the segments are properly glued and offset the dremel can fling these suckers 20 feet without them breaking.
Once I had down how to do it a parishioner came over with his son, the son wanted to make one for his girlfriend. I didn’t get a pic of the son’s which was purpleheart with walnut center. However the father wanted one for his wife and that produced the final pic, a combination of padauk and walnut that looks amazing, his has walls that are about 1/16” thick and is about a size 5.5; he was worried about going thinner. All three rings were produced in 2.5 hours with me explaining the steps.
The only downside to the whole process is that I think I’ve ground off half the prints on my fingers and replaced them with superglue.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse