|Project by Johnny75||posted 01-27-2013 03:03 AM||4392 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
I enjoyed making the first guitalele so much that I decided to make another one. This time I used a more common body style, but I retained the slash sound holes. I also borrowed a certain headstock shape from my favorite guitar company…again, don’t sue me because I’m not selling these. Future instruments will have my own design. I’m fortunate to have a brother-in-law who is a contractor and owns a cabinet shop. I used some scrap mahogany and maple for the neck and body. I dug through the local lumberyards stacks of western red cedar before I found a board at Home Depot with the straightest grain I have ever seen. Virtually no run out in the entire 12 feet, and knot free. Cedar is supposed to be a good tonewood so that’s what I went with. It sounds great! The only issue with the cedar is how soft it is. I think if I simply looked at it wrong, it would scratch. This time, I bought a special router assembly for my dremel tool from Stewmac.com to cut channels for plastic binding around the edges. Great little tool and it worked out well for my first time doing it.
The fist guitalele I built had a 17” scale. With that short scale, it had to be tuned up to the key of A. With the 19’ scale on this one, I can tune it down to E like a normal guitar and not have to re-learn all the songs I like to play with different chord shapes.