|Project by gfadvm||posted 01-27-2013 12:53 AM||2532 views||5 times favorited||45 comments|
I made this box from some Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) flooring and inlaid some strips of Zebrawood scraps from my last box. Finished with 3 coats of brushed on shellac which wasn’t drying fast enough to suit me. So I put in front of the furnace and went to feed the horses. When I came back 15 minutes later it was really gummy and covered with bubbles! Oooops! Left it overnight and sanded all the bubbles out and decided to try French Polish after getting lots of instruction from Blackcherry. Whoa! This is way too fun and I think probably my best finish to date. Dimensions: 11 1/2”x 7 1/2”x 5”. Tray is walnut with sycamore splines. Bottom of tray is the last of my antique ply with the logo on it. Wooden Patron/Grizz hinges. Zebrawood splines in box. I applied Renissance wax with a white Scotch pad after finish cured for 24 hours. Many thanks to Blackcherry!
-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm