|Project by Marcos||posted 01-25-2013 01:28 AM||2074 views||5 times favorited||16 comments|
I finally finished! I started this project 9 months ago after seeing an almost finished rocker in a friends garage. I immediately knew I had to make one. I hope the pictures do it justice…it looks and feels amazing in person.
My friend and mentor has made 13 rockers in his life and I was very fortunate to have his guidance on some of the more complicated parts. He made some templates from some 1970’s fine woodworking magazine articles and I went off of those as best I could. The rasp was my favorite weapon, although a 1/2 inch gouge was not far behind. I visited the Maloof residence about a month ago as the final inspiration to finally finish this monster, and after that, I worked about 30 minutes every day until I finished. At one point making the seat, while drilling holes to establish the depth I had to carve to, the depth stop on the drill press gave way and one of the holes went about 3/4 inch too deep. I thought about plugging it, but opted to carve to a deeper seat. In carving a deeper seat, I actually hit one of the biscuits I had put in when joining the boards!! I almost cried. Fortunately, I hadn’t shaped the seat yet so I was able to cut out a strip, and replace it with another. I used some sapwood to remind me that an error is just an opportunity and that’s why you can see a lighter stripe through the middle of the seat. I can’t wait to get started on a set of low back chairs for my enclosed patio.
It is made entirely of walnut, with some ebony plugs for accents. I used mostly Titebond 2 and 3, except for the laminated rockers, where I used Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue. It is sanded to 320 and finished with 4 coats of Daly’s Seafin Teak Oil.
Thank you Sam Maloof for the inspiration. Thank you Ed Smet for the education. And thank you Lumber Jocks for the community that understands what I’m feeling right now.
-- Marcos, California