|Project by Lazarus||posted 01-24-2013 03:28 AM||1649 views||6 times favorited||22 comments|
First, I want to thank my brother, Det, for giving me the majority of the wood that went into this project. The hull the decking, dragon’s head, and a lot more is of Sen wood. This was formally pallet wood that he inhertited from his father-in-law. The accent pieces; railing, gates, dragon’s neck, etc, are of cocobolo. The sails and water barrels are made of oak. This is my first attempt at carving, and my hat is off to those who do it all the time. The bow and aft section of the boat were made of seperate segmented rings, flattened and turned, then cut in half and glued at either ends of two long staves. These were again flattened by running through the planer and then glued and stacked. This was, oddly enough, the hardest part, and when it first fell apart on me, I felt like I had a few hours worth of kindling. But, I persevered and managed to get the hull glued together. I used a disk sander to flatten and smooth it out into it’s final shape. The deck was made of thin lathes glued in sections and then glued side to side, offset, and then planed. The barrels are made of 8 pieces of oak, cut into staves, glued, and then turned. The rings were formed by friction pyrography. For the sails, I thin sliced some oak (again, from an old pallet). I made a sled to cut slots in both sides of the dowels and then glued them into the sails. The masts are turned Sen wood. The base is seperate and of Sen wood and Cocobolo. I offset the base and slanted it to make the ship more kinetic, and giving it a sense of motion. I finished the ship with spar urethane, and the sails with a walnut stain.
This was an incredibly fun project. While it had it’s challenges, I still couldn’t wait to get out to the shop every day to work on it and I’m getting a little post partem depression, now that it’s done. Oh well, I’m not out of wood, yet.