|Project by RussellAP||posted 121 days ago||520 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
This morning this was a slab of walnut in my driveway. It’s been there since about March of 2012. Plenty dry and hiding some of the prettiest figure I’ve seen yet.
Red coral inlay over black sand. Thin CA over top. Wax finish.
I’m not completely done with the finish. I may put 10 or so coats of wax on later in the week. This is two layers of paste wax buffed.
Thanks for looking.
The hardest part is to get to a natural edge by removing the bark. I do this with a 1/4 chisel and mallet. Then I took it to my drill press and used some steel brushes to knock out the bark and not damage the wood.
Sand it down flat with 40grit. Had band saw marks pretty deep and it was too wide for the planer and I didn’t feel like hand planing.
Seal with shellac.
Coat check and holes with thin CA glue, fill with black sand to just under the surface and flood with thin CA.
Let dry to touch.
Pour in inlay material, in this case red coral, and again flood with CA and let dry.
Sand with abranet 80G and collect red coral dust as you sand for other inlays, works well in tiny cracks as it’s powder.
Sand flat, wipe off, blow off, wipe off with painters alcohol.
Wax, two or three coats, let sit for 5 minutes and wipe with cloth, then buff with buffer. Repeat wax to taste.
-- Failure does not stop me, it makes me try harder..... because I'm crazy.