|Project by DaddyT||posted 586 days ago||2078 views||2 times favorited||12 comments|
Well, this started with me finding an old saber saw blade at my great grandfathers old work shop. I was looking for some old hand files to make knives out of anyways, and thought this might work too. My great grandfather died when I was only 10 years old, so this blade is 25 years old or more. Any ways, I ground the blade down to the shape I wanted with my grinder. Then I hand shaped the edge with files. Next, I cut some walnut scales for the handle. And then it got tricky. I knew I wanted to use pins in the handle, so I marked for the placement on the blade, headed to the drill press and…....ruined TWO titanium drill bits trying to drill through the blade!! Talk about some tough metal !! So I finally got the holes for the pins drilled ( TWO TITANIUM BITS!!!WOW). So I used some 5 minute epoxy to hold every thing together. Drove in the pins, and shaped the handle. Finished in 2 coats of BLO, then 2 coats of wax. The blade sharpened up really good, will have to use it some to see if it keeps one. The walnut scales dont show up really good in the pics, but they are quit nicely grained.
Oh and check out my Stanley #113 ( in the background) I found at a flea market. FIVE BUCKS!!! What a steal! I actually felt kinda bad when I bought it, Cause I actually did feel as if I was stealing it. These things sell upward of $300 on ebay all the time. It will be my next rehabe project. Well I hope ya’ll like the knife, hope it inspires some one else to make one. Now I’m off to make a sheath for it. Oh I just noticed the date on the pics, they are wrong lol. Just took those today.
-- Jimi _ Measure twice, cut once.......@#%#$@!!!......measure twice, cut....