|Project by thedude50||posted 125 days ago||755 views||0 times favorited||16 comments|
This is the largest single cabinet I have ever made. I also hope to never make another one in this same vein. The customer wanted a walnut finish and birch plywood I also used alder for all the hard wood. The doors are made with the Jesada door bit set they turned out great. The router bits preformed very well I could not be happier. The cabinet is 90 inches wide by 48 inches tall and is 30 inches deep. I used 3/4 birch ply for the shelves and the sides then I used a 1/2 inch birch ply for the back I used a water base stain that we applied by HVLP I don’t see a real advantage to spraying this finish on as you have to wipe it off with a rag to get the color your looking for. After the stain had dried for a few days in this bad weather I then got a nice sunny day and we rolled it out for 6 coats of shellac I chose clear for this as I didn’t want to darken the wood any more than the stain had already.
The case construction was straight forward I used no 20 biscuits to join the sides to the top and bottom and the shelves are in 3/8 dadoes. My recommendation if your faced with a cabinet this large would be to go modular the reason i went this way was because I was worried about weight on the wall the cabinet is mounted to. The customer gave me an A for the appearance and the quality of the work so that’s all a guy can ask for.
-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech