|Project by Gianni||posted 01-14-2013 10:51 PM||1098 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
Mom’s nativity stable fell to pieces last year so she asked if I could make a new one. The “stone” parts are a piece of plywood that I had in the back of the garage. I drew on the stone pattern with a sharpie and used a V-bit in the router to clear away all the sharpie marks. I hit it with a textured paint then came back with an airbrush to fade the blocks and color the “grout lines.”
The rock patio was a similar technique in different colors, but I did it using a cheap-o 1×12 chunk. For that one I used a jigsaw to cut along the outer edge of blocks to give it a little interest. The remainder of the pieces are 1×1 and 1x about 1/4 strips that I ripped on the table saw, then cut into different length pieces and “beat up” with a chamfer bit on the router table to give them a rough look.
Roof is hardboard with spanish moss glued on. Come to think of it, the moss was basically the only non-wood material used in the entire project.
All in all, I think everyone is pretty happy in there. Finished size was pretty large to match up with her nativity set. It’s probably around 16 wide and maybe 14 high at the peak.