|Project by Chad||posted 01-14-2013 03:05 AM||2606 views||18 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my most recent major project—a bedroom suit for our new king-size mattress. I’m not sure what to call the style (maybe you can help), but it’s simple and classic, and will certainly last a lot longer than our last discount furniture store set.
All the pieces are made from solid poplar (and birch ply panels). The legs on all the pieces were glued up from poplar boards. The finish is India ink and lacquer—unconventional, but one of my favorites for “paint-grade” materials. It doesn’t hide the texture or completely obscure the grain, and has a lot more depth than paint.
The bed is a king-size platform bed. The rails are 1×8s with two 1×4s glued inside to support the slats. I used 12 solid pine slats, with the edges rounded over and pre-drilled for countersunk screws to prevent movement. There is a center 2×6 rail with a 5th leg in the center of the bed. Side and center rails are attached with right-angle bed rail hardware from Rockler. Joinery on the headboard and footboard is with Kreg pocket-hole screws, none of which are visible (hopefully my last time, since my new table saw opens up a world of joinery possibilities). The bed is rock-solid.
The twin nightstands have a single drawer, which I made from solid poplar. Drawer boxes are dovetailed with a Porter-Cable jig and bottoms are ship-lapped poplar attached with drawer slips. Runners are hard maple dovetail runners from Rockler.
The dresser is a beast (6 feet tall). It has plenty of storage space—I had to go up instead of out since we don’t have floor space for another unit. Drawer boxes are solid maple dovetailed boxes that I purchased assembled and finished. While that was expensive, I’m glad I did it because it saved me several days of work and allowed me to get the dresser in the room before company arrived for the holidays. I used two maple dovetail runners for each drawer, and was very happy with the way the drawers went together. I found a great trick for installing the false fronts on this site—leave screws protruding slightly from the front of the box, then place the front where you want it and give it a whack, leaving marks for mounting. A couple of them needed a little help from a hand plane—a few coats of lacquer was enough to close the reveal, but it was easy enough to fix. It also took a few tries to align all the runners, but after a little beeswax, they are buttery smooth. I installed stops on the bottom side of each drawer (also found great tips on this site).
Overall, I’m very happy with this set. Compared to other furniture I have built in the past, I was proud of how far I have come. I am still looking forward to upgrading my joinery skills (the table saw will make that a lot easier), but otherwise, I wouldn’t change much.
-- Chad in Charleston, SC, http://www.etsy.com/shop/acousticallyblue