|Project by FeralVermonter||posted 01-13-2013 12:31 AM||1024 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
(I do hope this project fits the forum rules! I did read them, and puzzled over whether this project counts… If not, I apologize! Don’t want to ruffle any feathers, since I love this site!)
Inspired by other discussions on this site, I went to look at an old saw that I had lying around up in the barn. Sure enough, it was a Disston, which seem widely regarded as very fine saws. While I haven’t put much thought into hand tools, I figured that this old soldier deserved a few more years, so I broke it down, carefully cleaned it, and put quite a bit of work into cutting/sanding the handle back to pretty.
An especially fun discovery, under the rust, were the etchings on the blade.
Tried this baby out as soon as I had it put back together: cuts real nice, though it probably needs a bit of sharpening. This has been a very satisfying project… and I gotta say it gets me thinking about the hand tool approach…
I used naval jelly to remove rust on the blade—though this made the etchings very hard to read. To bring them back, I nicked a little piece of charcoal from the fireplace, ground it up, and rubbed it on. I finished both the handle with Johnson’s paste wax, and coated the blade too to keep it from rusting.