|Project by MakingAMess||posted 01-11-2013 05:46 PM||1039 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
A display case that I made for my father to showcase his 1842 Springfield. He’s had it sitting in a closet for 30 years so I figured it was time to put it on display.
The back is bubinga veneer on 3/4 MDF. Trim is oak.
This was my first attempt at veneering and I will not try something this large again any time soon. I did some research on verneering and after talking with a few guys thought I could make it work.
Luckily I had enough bubinga to do it twice as you can see in photo 3 my first attempt resulted in a large split down the middle. I had neglected to properly manage the humidity and the differential expansion/contraction of the woods caused the veneer to split. On my second try I did a better job and there is only one small split at an edge.
Because of the highly figured grain of the bubinga there were a few ridges that caused me some grief when adhering the veneer down and trying to get all the air bubbles out. There are a few bubbles that I could not get out, but because of the grain pattern they are not too noticable. I would recommend using a vacuum press for this type of veneering project. If you do not have one or do not have access to one, I would suggest changing your design.
I am quite happy with how it turned out and am glad I tried my hand at veneering.