|Project by Rb12||posted 463 days ago||2298 views||12 times favorited||20 comments|
So I have been marveling at a number of the ribbon boxes all the resident scroll sawers around here have produced, hower I neither have a scroll saw nor a band saw, but figured I would give it a shot with the scraps and tools I do have.
So I laminated some purple heart and aspen together and used my jig saw to cut the curves and a drill press with a 1” forstner bit to cut the middle out of the ribbons. I used my belt sander to shape the curves evenly and then the spindle sander additions to my drill press to get the final shapes.
The box itself is cherry on top and in the splines and African mahogony on the bottom.
My phone photogrophy skills don’t do it a lot of justice, but I am pretty happy with the outcome, I am sure my daughter will be pleased with it as a gift. I used Watco Danish Oil as a finish and will likely schellac and probably laquer this weekend after the Danish Oil cures for 4 or 5 days.
Fun little project because it forced me to rebuild me spline jig (my old one had run its course) and build some glue up jigs to secure the ribbons while they dried.