|Project by Dallas||posted 01-05-2013 07:20 PM||1824 views||3 times favorited||16 comments|
This was suppose to be done for Christmas as a “House” gift for us.
Unfortunately, stuff got in the way and it got put by the side.
It was suppose to be 24X36 and free standing, but this morning I dropped it while finishing so it is now 17X18”.
Made 2 1/2” x 17×18, unfortunately so it will be a counter top model.
Woods are Silver Maple, Black Walnut, Black Cherry and small pieces of Bodark, (Osage Orange).
It is finished with 6 coats of mineral oil rubbed in with a low speed buffer, then 6 coats of 20/80 Beeswax mineral oil mix and then 2 coats of almost pure beeswax.
After that I heated it in the over on the lowest setting to about 120-150°F and buffed it by hand until I got a good shine.
The glue up was a set of six and a set of four so I could alternate pieces just about any direction. Notice the sides are a different direction than the long parts.
Even though it doesn’t look it, it is put together in a random manner…. I dropped all the slabs into a box, and glued them up as they came out, always putting an ‘X’ on the end that came up first and that would be the inside end on top.
One problem I ran into was that the cherry is a lot harder than anything else. I have little humps where the Black Cherry leaves a little lump and on either side where there is Maple or Walnut or Bodark, leaving maybe a 1/64” rise and scratches from the belt sander.
-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!