|Project by Rex B||posted 437 days ago||1294 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
I decided to make a few of the popular wine bottle balancers as Christmas gifts. Once I had the dimensions figured out, I realized it would be easy to make a large batch of these at once, so I made 12 total. I started from dimensions I found online, then tweaked it until I was satisfied. The dimensions I ended up with are:
I arrived at the 42.7 deg angle by tilting my tablesaw as far past 45 as possible (after moving the stop). These balancers work for any 750 ml bottle I have tried and some 1500 ml bottles as well.
I made 2 balancers from leopardwood (what a cool wood!) and 1 from cherry. The cherry wasn’t a very nice piece – the color is pretty lame. The other 9 are from walnut. On my last trip to the hardwood dealer I picked up a few pieces of pretty nasty walnut for $1.50 a BF. It has lots of sapwood and even some beautiful curly grain. I figured that these were the perfect thing to show off this gnarly wood. My favorite is the one with vertical stripes of heartwood and sapwood. I experimented with making one funky curvy balancer, but I thought it turned out kind of stupid. The rest are simple shapes to show off the grain. All are finished with a few coats of wiping varnish then buffed to a satin with steel wool and wax.
I gave these out to several family and friends as small Christmas gifts, and everyone liked them quite a bit. I waited so long to post them so no one would see them and spoil the surprise!