|Project by Spoontaneous||posted 01-01-2013 12:38 AM||1853 views||0 times favorited||20 comments|
I’ve got a half dozen more spoons almost finished and I was going to post after they are finished up. Well…. a couple of days ago my lap top’s hard drive went on the fritz and (once again) I lost a good portion of my data as I had not backed up in a spell. I have a replacement on order and while waiting I figured I would go ahead and post what I have using my wife’s laptop.
So anyways… I made a trip to KY in October to celebrate my daughter’s 16th birthday with her and on the way home I was able to stop in the mountains of NC for a day or two and gather some wood. The first 4 spoons came from that trip.
The ‘Limb Scar’ I pulled from a brush pile at about 5,000 feet and I think it is mountain laurel or rhododendron. There is a second, smaller limb scar on the twisted handle.
The second one has a lot of burl figure on it and a subtle pink color. The end of it is the raw weathered wood. I left the inside of the bowl unfinished after sanding.
The third was cut from a upturned root. Again… probably in the mountain laurel family.. and I just left the tip as I found it.
I call the next one ‘Ceremonial Burl’ spoon…. as it reminded me of that sort of thing. I tried messing with the wood burner and my wife said she like it better before I ‘messed with it’. I might agree. I was hoping for good burl figure in the bottom of the bowl… but the burl was what I am calling a ‘bark burl’.
The next one I call ‘Natural Curl’. Although it looks like it came from the mountains, I actually found it while working down in the Keys. I found it in this big gravel/sand mound along the shoreline and I think it might be black mangrove. I just cleaned it up a bit.
I wanted a break from the rustic looking spoons and found a little triangular shard of Lilac in the scrap box. I really like Lilac mostly because it sands so easily.
I did another from the maple burl…
And I still had a slice from the Mayday that Roman sent me. Looks a lot like the last one since it came from the same ‘cut out’.
This next one was from a leftover cut out of the ‘maple seed’ spoon and as I held it in my hand I drew lines around my fingers and that became the shape. So.. it fits just right in my hand so I call it ‘Ergo’.
A gentleman from CT sent me a some small branches from his garden and asked me to make 4 spoons for his wife and kids. He gave me leeway to make what the wood allowed. He did ask for the spoons to be functional, which was a challenge since the cherry was thin (mostly sapwood) and the rhododendron had some decay.
Well… I have been buying a few thousand vintage Scrabble tiles because I wanted to make a headboard panel with one of my favorite poems. I figured I had better do a ‘dry run’ on a smaller panel and I am so glad I did. What I discovered was that all Scrabble tiles are not created equal… they come in all different sizes and of course, shades. I had actually sought out a variety in shades as I had planned to do a sort of ‘vignette’ using the darker tiles for the edges and the lighter for the inside/text. I found it isn’t as easy as I thought.
I messed up pretty good on this small panel… enough to change my plans on the headboard. Instead of the poem I now plan on doing a picture mosaic. Hopefully, it will turn out much better.
As always, thanks for having a look! ... and Happy New Year !!
-- I just got done cutting three boards and all four of them were too short. (true story)