|Project by Jarred||posted 12-31-2012 09:45 PM||1171 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
One of those projects where nothing seemed to go right. The end result was good, and I still had all of my fingers, so I guess it was a win. Otherwise I haven’t had so many problems on a (relatively simple) project before. But as I like to say, the only simple operation is the one you aren’t doing. I guess the same goes for woodworking too.
This wall decoration began it’s life as a serving tray in progress. The wood I had destined for the base of the tray ended up twisting after planing, so I ripped it in two and tried again. After clamping and gluing I routed three hearts spanning the joint. One of the inlays didn’t quite fit perfectly, and I fractured the maple trying to remove the inlay. I then planed a new piece of wood, starting out with a hand plane, as it was too wide for my diminuitive jointer. This piece planed well.
I routed the inlays and (aside from having to make a few extras because of mistakes) everything appeared to be progressing. Then the base twisted. Trying to fine-tune the miters for the sides of the serving tray resulted in barely acceptable dimensions. I also had concerns about my original design and whether a couple of heavy plates would be able to be reliably lifted from the sides. So, after consultation with my wife (whose Christmas present it was, after all), I decided to convert it to a wall decoration.
At this point I decided to abandon the maple sides in favor of contrasting curly walnut for the frame. I made the frame thick enough that I could lag the centerpiece into the frame in multiple points (I think 16) to reduce apparent warp. I put maple keys into the frame miters, and finished the frame with Danish oil and wax. I French-polished the centerpiece and called it a day. It’s now on the wall above our breakfast bar, and my wife loves it.
Thanks for looking!
-- My projects are imperfect in every way, just like their creator. Their creator loves them nonetheless, just like mine.