|Project by BrianGT||posted 12-31-2012 01:35 PM||1208 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
This is the Hope chest that I made for my daughter this Christmas. I am very please with the results.
It is made from wide sapele. The top is only two seperate boards and the glue line all but disappears in the grain.
The sides and ends were curved using with the curved planing jig that I posted earlier. Here is the link: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/74082 They are held together with splined miters. I went with large splines keeping proportions in mind.
The top is inlayed with some calla lillies which is all poplar wood and a dragonfly that is cocobolo and tulipwood.
The feet are turned on my lathe and give it a bit of elevation.
The outside is finished with 3 coats of tung oil. I used shellac on the interior because it has little to no odour when cured and tung oil on the inside would have left an odour for a long time which would be transfered to blankets/sweaters/clothes that are stored inside.
Thanks for checkin it out.
Please give constructive critisisms on how it could be improved or what you would do different. That way we can all learn and grow our craft and become better woodworkers.
Happy new year.
-- "Fear of failure limits our creativity" so to create something truly awesome you first have to be prepared to flop