|Project by Scrape||posted 12-30-2012 04:28 PM||785 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
So, on the heels of my “downsizing my woodworking hobby” posts, it’s only fitting that I post a woodworking project, right?
This is one of those “Hey honey, do you think you could make something like this?” projects. To which question I of course answered, “Yes!”, and then proceeded to accomplish the project over-budget and over-time. Standard.
So what we have here is a pair of wall-mounted bookshelves that sit next to the upper and lower bunks of my 7-year-old son’s bunk bed. They are constructed of standard hardware store oak—1/2” thickness for everything except the mounting pieces, which are 3/4” thickness. The lower one, which was my prototype, has some pocket screws joinery. However, I quickly discovered that I was frequently splitting the oak, so I switched mid-stream to dowel joinery. The upper one uses only dowels. I used Titebond poly glue, used one or two coats of a random oak stain we had left over from our flooring, and then brushed on two coats of polyurethane. The bookshelves are each attached to the wall with four screws into the studs.
The planning phase consisted of, “Well, that looks about right.” As a result, I think the bookshelves are a bit over-sized vertically—they probably should have been about 5-6 inches shorter. My goal was to ensure that he could place his larger “coffee table”-style books in there—picture books on aviation and such. As you can see, I succeeded, but the things are rather mammoth compared to his bed. Oh well.
-- Rob "Scrape" French, Missouri