LumberJocks

This season's gifts; scrollwork, rolling pins, cutting boards and stools.

  • Advertise with us
Project by derosa posted 474 days ago 618 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

These were most of what I managed to produce for Christmas this year excepting the mallet for the mallet swap and a trio of rocking dinos for the church giveaway.

First one was also my first major project on a scroll saw as well as my first successful creation of a frame with tight mitered corners. The second frame’s corners didn’t come out quite as well as this one’s but even it was more successful then my previous throwaways. The scroll work is on curly mahogany and the image was purchased from scrollsawartist.com
The frame was made from what I think is poplar, it was from a pallet. I used the tablesaw to make the mitered cut and was successful due to the use of a zero clearance insert I made from oak, the factory insert sat proud of the tabletop and always messed up the cuts. First the rabbit was cut in the back, then the miters, the final glue up was then routered with a 3/8” ogee bit. I used spray adhesive to mount the fabric to a backer board and the finished piece to the fabric. The frame was finished with antique maple stain and wax and the scroll piece with spray poly.

Second is one of 3 rolling pins, it features a range of woods and is meant to match the cutting boards. These were gifts for my sister and sister-in-law as neither one has yet to get a cutting board. The third rolling pin was turned by a friend for his wife and didn’t have a matching board. Woods include mahogany, cherry, purpleheart, maple, apple, white oak. I originally intended for the zigzag to be on all 4 sides of the rolling pin but wasn’t thinking during glue up. I should have created a 1”thick blank that was twice as long as my 2” thick blank.

Final one is a step stool/bench design from fine woodworking that I was turned onto by willdoc here on LJ. This one was for my nephew but while driving in my lower dowel on his read oak version the side split the whole length, with the top glued on I decided it was easier to just proceed with a new one. The biggest issue with not going oak is the lack of 3/4” hardwood dowels, the local woodcraft had one size down at 7.00 each which is more then I care to pay besides being the wrong size. So I chucked a piece of 1×1 cherry in the lathe, turned down the ends to 3/4” using my “calibrated” crappy box end wrench from where ever to fine tune the fit. Actually it was a crappy 19mm box end but since the forstner bit is low grade it turns out that the lack of specification between the two creates a perfect fit every time. The edges of the 1×1 was then routed over with a 1/4” roundover and the whole piece finished with clear shellac.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse





1 comment so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

109257 posts in 2077 days


#1 posted 474 days ago

super looking scroll work.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase