|Project by Weth||posted 342 days ago||1946 views||7 times favorited||9 comments|
Here is the bed that I completed today 12/28/2012.
It is based on the Popular Mechanics 100 Year Anniversary Bed.
Notes about the build:
Nice looking beds are difficult to find. Many designs are too bland or too ornate. It is hard to find simple beauty. When I showed this plan to my wife, she and I both knew this was the type of furniture we wanted in our home. Originally, I was planning to build this for our master bedroom. Throughout the process, our 4 year old loved it so much we decided to make it for him instead.
This is the 1st piece that I have made. I learned a lot during the process. I still have much to learn.
Owner: Joshua H. (4 years of age)
Changes to original plan. Many of the changes are for function and cost.
- Changed solid mahogany to 1/16” veneers over pine.
- Lengthened head board from 32” to 43” to accommodate stacked pillows. (saw this issues in another forum)
- Reduced foot board from 22” to 21” to accommodate long people
- Changed Pomele Sapele panels to Maple for color contrast
- Changed top rails from Mahogany to Birdseye Maple. (Boards also had some curl in it)
- Delete Wenge feet. Who will see them?
- Delete Wenge square side applications. Covered by bed spread.
- Change to Amazon pre made slats
- Extended width from 60” to 61”. Wife request and accommodates amazon slats.
- Delete Bed post chamfers.
- Changed from 5” bed hangers to 4”. Looking for one with offset hooks that I missed getting the 5” ones.
- Changed finish from Waterlox sealer/finish to Boiled Linseed oil base and Oil based polyurethane. Final coat was cut 50% to avoid brush marks.
Notes on Purchases
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042GBPL6/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00 This used to be $69. It was a steal except for the fact they were 1” too long.
Original Plan (I had to print each page from google docs.)
The same bed on Lumberjocks
Special thanks to: Doug Eckstrand (Denver Colorado)
Thanks for looking