|Project by jdp12678||posted 12-27-2012 01:22 AM||1238 views||7 times favorited||5 comments|
Here is my first project to put on LJ. I have wanted to do some projects for quite some time and finally put forth some effort over the last few weekends and this is the result. I found a toy box plan that I liked and made a few modifications (ie. lid). I used 3/4” birch plywood for the main box and 1x pine for the face frames and lid. I used pocket hole joinery as the method of assembly. For the lid I purchased a 1×10x12 pine board cut into 3 – 4 foot sections, joined the sides with a hand planer and glued it up.
For the finish I used a wood conditioner (I know it doesn’t look like it) and Minwax Jacobean stain. It took quite a while as I only did one side at a time as I was worried I would leave the stain on too long if I attempted more than one side at a time. After the stain was on, I decided it didn’t look that great and sanded the entire toy box and then repeated. It didn’t look much better the second time around and on the 2nd go around I was more liberal in my application of wood conditioner. Oh well.
To finish it up, I applied 4 coats of poly. The lid is attached with a piano hinge and 2 spring supports.
What I learned:
- staining pine and birch is no fun.
- bugs are attracted to polyurethane.
- tweezers and a steady hand can remove bugs from wet/tacky polyurethane.
Thanks for looking.