|Project by Jonathan||posted 576 days ago||1079 views||3 times favorited||13 comments|
I began this project a couple of years ago, and decided to finish it for a Christmas gift this year. This was built to fit a specific location in a family member’s house, just above her desk area, above the counter she uses as a desk and below the cabinets. I decided to take the first couple of photos on our vintage Christmas tablecloth since it’s a Christmas present.
I began by constructing the frame, using half lap joints at the 4-corners. I did not wrap the grain, but instead used 2-different pieces of walnut, ripped in half. The top and bottom of the board are one piece, while the left and right sides are another piece. Then I used the router and a chisel to add the rabbet to receive the plywood backing, which is countersunk 3/64” below the frame. I also used a roundover bit along the outside edge of the frame.
I applied 5-coats of General Finishes Arm R Seal Satin to the walnut frame before gluing in the plywood substrate. The back of the plywood received 3-coats of Arm R Seal. The frame also received several applications of Renaissance Wax before I applied the light painter’s tape to help avoid any contact cement getting on the walnut during application.
I used Titebond Post-Forming Neoprene Plus Contact Cement to adhere the corks. I’d highly recommend this contact cement for indoor use. I felt safe using this in my basement, without needing a respirator. Before gluing in the corks, I did a dry fit to make sure I had the spacing correct, as well as generating a seemingly random, yet balanced layout of the corks. Each cork was cut on the bandsaw, removing a portion of the back side to allow for a large and flat glue surface. I ended up needing 256-whole corks and 32-partial corks to fill-in the partial ends of the running bond pattern. The corks sit slightly proud of the walnut frame, allowing for any potential papers or pictures that are stuck to the board to overlap the frame, without any interference. There is a little bit of crookedness on one or two columns of corks, but overall, I’m fairly happy with the layout. I did not add any hardware to hang the board on the wall, as I thought it would be best if the recipient makes that decision.
Dimensions: 32” wide, by 20” tall, walnut frame is 2-5/16” wide
Weight: 9-pounds, 6-ounces
Wood: 4/4 Walnut for the frame @ 13/16” thick, 1/4” MDF core red oak plywood for the center substrate
Glue: Titebond III for the half lap joints and gluing the plywood into the walnut frame, Titebond Post-Forming Neoprene Plus Contact Cement to adhere the corks
Corks: 256-whole corks, 32-half corks cut to fill running bond ends, cut on bandsaw
Sanded: Up to 220-grit
Finish: 5-coats General Finishes Arm R Seal Satin, followed by several coats of Renaissance Wax
I’d like to wish all my fellow LJs a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."