|Project by lawrence||posted 564 days ago||962 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
A while back I met a woodworker from another forum and he gave me a lovely little piece of kingwood. I’ve been showing it off to visitors for some time now, meaning all the while to make something out of it. I finally got around to using it for a set of dice for my sons for a “shut the box” game I am making for them for Christmas (yes, I know it is coming very soon… tomorrow will be a shop day!)
At any rate, the dice are 1×1 square and are amazingly (lucky) balanced. The kingwood is a perfect compliment for the mahogany shut the box case and I can’t wait to give it to my boys.
This is the jig I used- for the 2,3,4,5 I had the side pieces removed and I carved the dots all at once for all 4 dies- the 1 and 6 required additional jigging and I had to carve the dies individually after cutting them loose.
Here’s a quick youtube video I did showing how accurate you can get with the Carvewright – (I’ll be honest I suprised myself!) The edge rounds are .02 deep and were carved accurately (square) to as far as my eyesight could tell.