|Project by Smitty_Cabinetshop||posted 12-24-2012 01:20 PM||3282 views||8 times favorited||31 comments|
Synopsis: Turned carving mallet made of Hickory and given to OnlyJustMe as part of the Mallets of your Dreams ‘Mallet Swap 2012‘
Galoot Index: I’d have to give this a zero. It’s bandsaw and lathe work, totally.
Description: The mallet started out as a big block of hickory. A chunk, really. Ripped it on the bandsaw and again tried planing it, again without luck. I’ve run the scrub plane against this stuff as well as the sharpest jack; even a low angle jack; but hickory simply does not want to plane. Oh well. That’s not the fate that awaits this block, anyway.
With the block defined, it was over to the lathe. Nothing special about that tool; it’s an older (70s?) model Delta that is perfect for me, in that I don’t really know what I’m doing on the lathe. This is my second attempt at a finished project on the tool. I set it in and began shaping the mallet. It took awhile, but hickory (thankfully!) turns much better than it planes.
I concentrated on the head first, figuring if that came out right the rest of the tool would have to do.
Once that was pretty much defined, I went after the handle. I really (really!) didn’t have a plan or pattern, but just kept turning and letting whatever came up become the shape to define and accent. Before too long I had something that I immediately ran into the house to show my wife. :-) Not because she loves mallets, but because it was actually coming together! At this point I had hit it (I think) with a bit of sandpaper on the lathe.
From there, the progress pics stopped. So here’s what happened.
I wanted to try burning lines in the handle, to make it like a grip. I set a pair of dividers to a distance that’d fill the handle space and used those etches to carry a piece of stainless steel wire while the piece turned and made a ‘groove.’ The piece was turned with varying (progressively finer) grits of sandpaper then finished by rubbing with shavings from the bench. It kinda glowed! I was excited at this stuff, never done it before! Woodworking was a blast this day! :-)
Anyway, back to the project.
The Mallet Swap fellas on the thread were all aboard with my ‘threat’ to apply paint to my gift mallet, so I did. Colors and product used are straight from the exterior of my house: Pittsburgh Paint, exterior latex. Applied with a flux brush, allowed to dry, then ‘burnished’ with some steel wool because nothing I do is allowed to look new it seems. Finished with Minwax Antique Oil then buffed out to a soft sheen.
I shipped it off to my recipient, OnlyJustMe, and the opening was a couple days ago. Here’s the mallet in it’s new home (no action shots yet):
I loved being part of the Mallet Swap, and as always, thanks for looking!
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --