or Join Now!
This is my second basket illusion bowl. It’s about 10” in diameter.
-- Never pass up the chance to use a hand plane.
home | projects | blog
10 posts in 1497 days
Preview this project card
122 posts in 1686 days
#1 posted 12-23-2012 06:26 AM
A stunning piece of work! Wonderful job!
Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist
5431 posts in 2129 days
#2 posted 12-23-2012 06:34 AM
Very nice and colorful illusion…
-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work
16192 posts in 1159 days
#3 posted 12-23-2012 02:59 PM
-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.
113063 posts in 2398 days
#4 posted 12-23-2012 03:36 PM
Double WOW this is an amazing work of art.
-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture
3013 posts in 1906 days
#5 posted 12-23-2012 04:20 PM
I can think of several ways to make this bowl, and none of them would be easy, with all the lines and colorsso crisp and beautiful. Great work of art, would you be willing to tell us how you made this bowl? Thank you for sharing.
-- As ever, Gus-the 76 yr young apprentice carpenter
436 posts in 1512 days
#6 posted 12-23-2012 05:11 PM
Beautiful bowl, Carl…..now give! We gotta have details on how you did this one.
-- jbschutz www.johnschutz.com
3063 posts in 1644 days
#7 posted 12-23-2012 08:11 PM
Looks tricky to glue up :)great jobPete
-- Pete G: If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got
#8 posted 12-29-2012 03:50 AM
As to how it was done:I started with a plain hollow form bowl with about 3/16 wall. After it was sanded to about 220 grit, I used a beading tool which I made (too cheap to buy one) to make beads around the bowl. The beads are about 1/8 wide. I just used a piece of tool steel and a chain saw file to make the tool. Next, I drew lines longitudinally using the indexing on the lathe and a flat tool rest adaptor. I was able to draw about 96 lines this way. Now I had a bowl that had been divided into small segments or pixels. I then worked out a pattern that I wanted to use. Not all the longitudinal lines got used because they didn’t all fit the pattern or they simply got too close together. I then used a soldering iron and another custom made tip to burn small lines on each bead along the longitudinal lines. I then had about 7200 pixels ready to color.Working out a pattern was the hardest part. The next hardest part was finally putting the first color on the bowl …. once you start, you are pretty much committed. It takes a while.
Go to Pulse page »
©2015 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
Terms of Service
DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.
Latest Projects |
Latest Blog Entries |
Latest Forum Topics